Monday 7 November 2011

BOS and Jack

BOS stands for bum on seat and that's what I've got to do tomorrow. Got some catching up to do with nanowrimo but hey the weather doesn't look brilliant so tomorrow doesn't look a good day to avoid writing and run up Clunbury Hill. Not that I was going to anyway.

Friday had an interesting email. I entered a local poetry competition and didn't win, wasn't surprised at that but I had email saying that if I joined the group they would publish my poem in their magazine. Well I suppose that's one way of getting new members but this girl - well she doesn't fall for that so no my poem won't be published and I won't be joining their merry band. Hey I need more of an incentive that.

I had a very quiet weekend, didn't do any writing, in fact didn't do much of anything and certainly didn't go to a bonfire display. To be honest I've never keen on them but after being hit by a firework several years ago, I avoid them even more now. I know I'm a miserable cow but standing outside on a cold, damp, foggy November is not my idea of fun. Did watch the X factor though and thought - worst of two evils really.

I had a bad night last night and put on facebook that Arfur (pet name for arthritis) decided to party last night, unfortunately two people thought I'd had a rattling good time with a male friend called Arthur - oh well - I wish.

One thing I do want to tell you about. Jack Powell died today in Ludlow Hospital. Robz put on his facebook RIP Jack Powell you are a legend. Jack is a legend and quite a character. He was 92 and last years he was taking part in plowing competitions and spend most of his evenings propping up the bar in the Hundred House with his glass of whiskey by his side. I interviewed him once for the parish post and the tales he had to tell of farming in this area in the late 1920s and 30s were amazing. This valley is still very much a farming area but when you see the new tractors although farming is a hard job, in his day, it was even harder. But, throughout his tales his eyes twinkled and he said to me 'I've loved every day I've been here - winter and summer alike. Jack Powell will live on in the memory of so many people in the Clun Valley and I reiterate what Robz said Rest in Peace Jack Powell - you are a legend.

The land Jack worked all his life.


Right tomorrow is another day and as I said bum on seat and lots of scribbling, well you know what I mean so I've going to bid you a good night as I tick my to do box.

Blog - tick.

1 comment:

  1. luv the photo

    looks like a great part of the world to be in

    ReplyDelete