Tuesday 1 May 2012

So what did you do today?

Me I totally wimped out. Rain and cold play havoc with the arthritis so I stayed in, swallowed pain killers and stayed warm.

But Terri and Mike, two friends of mine from Lydbury North Writers went on an adventure. Yes, totally mad, but they did. Terri and Mike are Celts and they 'act out' life in the Iron Age and today, in the pouring rain they greeted a load of school children at Hell Gate on the Wrekin in full Iron Age garb. Actually Terri did say last night she was going to wear her walking boots and not her Iron Age sandals but in these conditions I don't blame her. Today she wore a long, heavy wool dress so I doubt the children noticed.

But I've been thinking about those children because although it was an adventure for Terri and Mike, it was an even bigger adventure for them. Image, climbing a hill and suddenly to be greeted by people for a time other than your own. Imagine them leading you on to a world you have no comprehension of. Imagine them taking you into their existence, no modern day comforts, not even a duvet to crawl under at night but the harsh realities of life in a hostile environment.

There is a magic in those time. A few years ago I went to Castell Henyllis in South Wales, with who was then, a very good, close friend and they too shared the magic of the place.




Terri and Mike have stayed there and I was talking to them last month and Terri said, one morning she woke up early and she could hear voices and singing in a language she didn't understand. My, perhaps ignorant interpretation is that the village came to life,' I don't know.


But with the magic we found at Castell Henyllis and I really hope the children found today on the Wrekin, we as writers need to learn that our thinking, our understanding and our acceptance of all possibilities doesn't stop at the top of our skulls. We have a whole universe to think in and unless it's used, it is wasted.

And despite the rain - I would love to have been up there with today stepping back into a time forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment