Wednesday 16 March 2011

Do you remember the snow and the cold before Christmas?

I do. There was one morning I took the lads to work and the outside temperature gauge in the car didn't read above -15. That is cold but it was beautiful morning, clear, crisp and when I got home, the house was warm and I switched the kettle on and it worked. A hot cup of coffee soon wiped away the bitter winter chill.

But did you see the snow today? No not here but in Japan. Those people picking through the remains of their homes, while the snow fell. There was little shelter for them. They couldn't close the door, put the kettle on and feel the warmth of a hot drink.

I know what's happened has been wall to wall news since Friday but it seems each day it is getting worse for some many and it's not just today and tomorrow they're affected but for months and years to come. I know how desperate I felt when we lost our home in the floods of 2007 but that was nothing, nothing to what these people are going through and yet they remain dignified, respectful and so gracious - they're helping each other out on a scale we can't imagine.

Tonight I caught the tail end of a piece from Japan which showed a young father with his children living in a car garage, the kids all wrapped up and there was a photograph of Mummy, who they haven't seen since Friday. They are still looking for her - I really hope they do find her alive but as time goes on the chances of that happenning are lessening by the the hour but the kids still believed she would come back to them. One snapshot of one family of the thousands that have been affected.

Yes muddled post tonight but what I'm trying to say is 'count your blessings' but also 'there but for the grace of God.'

Tonight my thoughts and prayers are with those who are suffering - I hope in time they find peace.

1 comment:

  1. It breaks your heart doesn't it Sue? I can't bear to watch them suffering but as you say it's there every day. All we can do is think about them and give to aid if we are able to. You are so right, although we not always feel 'lucky' we are.
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete