Tuesday 15 March 2011

Woo-hoo or how a wee can help

For the first time in I don't know how long I've written a story! That's the woo-hoo bit. I woke up this morning with an idea on the topic for Ludlow Writers on Thursday, half wrote it, wasn't happy about it but plowed on and then....

This is the bit where a wee helped. Mother nature called so while answering her call and churning the story around in my head, I suddenly realised where I was going wrong. I was writing the story back to front. What I was doing, was starting it at the beginning, whereas the story actually starts at the end and sort of ends at the beginning.

I know that probably doesn't make much sense but it was a different way of looking at things which made the impact (well I think it does) that I wanted to make.

So a tip - look at things differently and ask yourself, will it work better that way? And if inspiration is found in the smallest room, go for it, or something like that.

I didn't post last night because I went to bed with my book, which incidentally is getting very close to the end and I am thoroughly enjoying it (more about that when I've finished it). But yesterday I had a very strange experience - aren't I the lucky one?

Tuffins in Craven Arms (my local supermarket) is little more than a shack with no air, no window and full of bright, un natural light. However, it does come in useful and yesterday was no exception. I only wanted some crisps. So there was I standing there contemplating whether or not I was going to pay their ridiculous prices when all of a sudden the lights went out and I was plunged into darkness. There was nothing, no light, no sound and for two seconds it was perfectly still. There wasn't even time to panic before the lights came back on again but the funny thing was, everything instantly returned to normal. The gentle sound of people talking, the bright lights it was as if nothing had happened. I didn't even hear anyone mention it. I did ask the woman on the tills if it had affected the tills but no it hadn't and I think the only reason I asked was just to confirm that yes it did actually happen.

Very, very weird.

Oh and the latest on the Saab liveth - it doesn't. Head Gasket gone, so it's going to the big open roads in the sky. Anyone want a Saab turbo, engine, gearbox etc....

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about the car. That was the replacement engine, too.
    A darkened, quiet supermarket. Not a threatening place, I think, but an odd one. I remember being in a bar in Portugal and the lights went out for a minute or so, then came on again. No one turned a hair.
    And sometimes inspiration comes in the oddest places.
    Mike xxx

    ReplyDelete