Saturday 16 July 2011

A Brave New World

Okay I've done a week with two hearing aids in and gosh the world sounds very different.

As soon as I had them fitted and left the clinic I stepped out onto the A49 and a lorry went past. I nearly shit myself the noise was incredible, in fact it was quite scary. I then went into my local supermarket the sounds of tills ringing, the noise of people talking - I didn't stay long.

To be fair the audio guy did say that things would sound very 'tinny' and they do, even a week on because I'm not hearing normally and my brain has to get used to it. I hope it gets used to it quickly because tings, rings, bleeps and pongs make me react like a squitish kitten (don't know if that's a word but you know what I mean) but on the positive side I sat talking to a friend who was sitting on my right side and I could hear everything he said.

As I said, a brave new world - still hate the damn things though but I have dyed my hair red and I make a point of wearing earrings - my hair isn't long enough to hide them so I flaunt them or try and make them as part of me as possible lol.

Bugger isn't it?

I did ask the audio guy how long he thought I had with hearing and of course he couldn't answer, he kept going back to age related hearing loss but admitted that at 50 I shouldn't need two hearing aids and yes it must likely was down to the CMT. But proving it is not viable and it won't help me anyway lol.

Thinking of leaving my body to medical science, then they can do all the tests etc they wanted to do when I was alive and I said no to and maybe it will help them find out more about CMT which although it won't help me, might help someone in the future and it will save everyone the cost of a burial.

My body may not be unique but it certainly is in Shropshire - fame at last.

2 comments:

  1. What a strange world it suddenly is when you get a sense back. I lost my sense of smell last year and was over the moon when finally I could smell the cat's crap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Mike, it's funny what you miss

    ReplyDelete