Tuesday 19 July 2011

One of those nights

You know the ones I mean. When your exhausted, yawning your head off and longing to crawl beneath the quilt. Bedtime can't come quick enough and then finally, days' tasks completed you wearily climb the stairs to bed. You look longingly at the pillows and you undress and for me, remove my teddies, doll and cushions off the bed. Throw the quilt back, sigh with relief as your head hits the pillow and then suddenly....

Funny word that suddenly, I was told that it was a word that writers should avoid but sometimes it's the only one that works. Immediately, yeah maybe but suddenly, to me anyway has that bit of drama about it. But, I digress.

Suddenly my eyes were wide open, my brain revved up and promptly launched itself into fifth gear and that was that. I tossed, I turned and tossed and turned again. I had pleasant thoughts, I even tried counting sheep but it was too dark to see them. Joys of living in Clunbury - no street lights. Even the cows out the front were noticeable by their absence or rather were getting a better night's kip than me.

2 o'clock, 3 o'clock and then my mind turned to the fact that I had to be up at 7.45 and it was getting perilously close to the time the alarm would scream at me so I started worrying about that. I'll feel like death in the morning, ran through my head, yeah that did the trick, I don't think. I've got to drive, my eyes will feel like I've got half of Rhyl sands behind them. And I've got to do this tomorrow and oh, must do that and then there's a pile of ironing.

3.33am I know that because the clock told me, actually it's fifteen minutes fast to try and get me up in time but when you know that, it doesn't work, I got up and came downstairs for a drink. It was at this point I did think about blogging but if you guys saw the time, you'd know I couldn't sleep so there would be nothing to write about today.

Anyway I had my drink and went back to bed. Snuggled up again under the quilt, decided this time to try and count sheep in my head instead of the ones in the orchard - but that didn't work either. By 3.55 but actually fifteen minutes earlier, I had go to the loo.

Back in bed, the clock - oh so slowly made it to 5am.

And then the alarm went off and yes my eyes did feel like I had the sands of Rhyl behind them. And yes I did feel like death warmed up and of course, I could so easily have turned over and gone back to sleep - but no, I drove the lads to work, have drunk countless cups of coffee and now as I type the words are blurring on the scream and my thoughts, yet again turn towards to my pillow and my quilt.

Early night tonight me thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment