Sunday 17 July 2011

Serious warning!

When I’m an old woman I’ll eat ratatouille
And my house will smell of garlic and onions with
The aroma of olive oil and empty bottles of red wine
And bleach, toilet cleaner, old perfume and loneliness.

But with failing hearing I shall hear the phone
Because day in and day out I’ll long for it to ring.
I’ll chat to foreigners who want to sell me
Life insurance, car insurance and holidays.

Then I’ll put the phone down and hear the silence
And I’ll dust and polish spick and span surfaces
Must keep busy.

I’ll welcome Jehovah’s Witnesses with joy
Because they’re a voice and someone to talk to
Then they’ll go leaving me unconverted
And the Watch Tower they leave will be screwed up in the bin.

But old age I look forward to because
Because I aim to be right pain in the arse
I’m not going to put up with the hassle
That I’ve endured in my younger years
So those who want to control can whistle because I’m gone.

I’m fifty now and not so well but here’s to those
who wish me well and those who don’t can go to hell but….
Warning – what life is left I’ll be living – my way.




1 comment:

  1. Lovely poem, Sue. Made me laugh, made me think. Well done.

    ReplyDelete