Wednesday 20 July 2011

The National Memorial Arboretum Alrewas

Today the Queen will be paying to tribute to the soldiers killed in Afghanistan in 2010 at the National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas. There will be, besides the Queen all the dignitaries that go with such an occasion and families of those brave men and women that were killed but for me there will be someone quite special missing.

My young cousin Mark Turner was killed in Afghanistan on 4th April 2010. I didn't Mark, but I grew up with his Dad and his uncles and when I learned of his death it brought this horrible war even closer to home. I have never agreed with this war, I'll be honest but I do totally respect those that have been called on to go out there, they didn't question, they didn't refuse, they went to do their job and many sadly have suffered the consequences of that.


"Rifleman Turner, 'Turtle' to his mates, was one of the bravest men I have ever had the pleasure of working alongside. He had an inner bravery which made it even more humbling."
Major Mike Lynch


Mark was only 21 when he was killed, still a young lad really. Apparently he was a right character but he was a very brave man.

So as the Queen pays tribute to 'our kid' just remember those who are out there and pray that soon this war will be over and our troops can come home safe.



God bless you Mark. 
Your whole family are proud but humbled by your ultimate sacrifice.

xx

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
John 15:13

2 comments:

  1. What a thoughtful post Sue.
    You are rightly proud of your cousin.
    Sounds as if you've been in the wars yourself these past few weeks love.
    I had no idea.
    Still think you should keep coming to WW.
    We need a hard core of writers...you know what I'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you Lizzie. I won't be coming back to WW as a member but I'll be there at the workshop in October - looking forward to it. You take care my love and hopefully I'll see you soon xx

    ReplyDelete